Wednesday, August 5, 2009

You can call me Chepkemei

Habari! I am finally at Kipkaren. it has been an amazing, crazy, busy whirlwind for a few days. I recieved the most extravagant welcome I have ever experienced... with singing, clapping, roses, hugs and handshakes from the entire village. I have never been to a more hospitable place! The kenyan people are so loving, welcoming, and grateful. They are constantly encouraging one another and helping each other in every way. Everything is community-focused... eating, cooking, cleaning, sleeping. There is hardly such thing as independence or privacy here. It's quite beautiful to be a part of.

They gave me a Kenyan name! It is Chepkemei, which means born in summer. The Kalenjin tribe commonly name their children after what time of day they were born or what was happening on the day they were born. Alie is aparently a boy's name in kenya... so im happy to have another one haha.

This area is so breathtakingly beautiful. it is located in teh heart of the rift valley and it is pure jungle and farmland for acres and acres. the sky is huge and blue and the clouds are low and have the coolest shapes ive ever seen. it rains everyday and most days it thunderstorms. i really really love the land and the weather. my room is located along a river that i sit by every morning. its a 1 mile walk to the clinic and we pass by huts, rivers and farms. its almost freaky passing right by giant cows. this place is just so lush and alive. no buildings or roads... just jungle, cornfields, and animals. i love it!

ive worked two days in the clinic! ive seen malaria patients, a typhoid patient, a man who cut his thumb open with a machete, and lots and lots of moms and babies! its soooo different than the US.... no appointments, no prescriptions, no pharmacy, no sterile technique. the treatment for malaria is realyl intense... 3 days of an injection of Quinon which is a thick painful drug from a 21 gauge needle right in the buttock... ouch. the kenyans do not vocalize their pain so they are perfectly silent during all the painful procedures without any anesthesia.. including teeth extraction and childbirth! Again, soooo different from the US! I've mostly observed so far but i did give an injection yesterday of Dopa, which is the main form of birth control used in kenya. dont worry mom, im being safe.

the food is rough but i braced myself before coming and i am surviving! Ugali (thick, firm cornmeal), cabbage, corn, and beans are the everyday lunch and dinner. along with warm whole milk. eek!

i wish i had more time bc there is so much more to share, but i gotta run! ill post again saturday on my way back from Illula.

Thanks for the love and prayers! i miss you all so much.

4 comments:

  1. OK Girlie I mean Chepkemei,
    I think I just figured out this whole blog/comment thing. Everyone is enjoying reading your blogs. I also read Sommy's, she gives a different perspective. i'm so sorry about Jeremiah. My first thought was that i hoped you wouldn't find out until you came home, but i guess that is not possble in this world of internet. Try to stay focused and enjoy this expereince..its a once in a lifetime !! You'll have these memories forever, before you know it, it will be time to come home.
    Ok lets hope this posts
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAH I loved reading this post! p.s. I totally helped your mom post a comment, she called me asking for help! So I told her yay =) she knows more then you, you should be stoked hah!

    Anyways, I loved reading about these things: The giant cows, the awesome community, the low clouds, the lush, the river you sit by, and the warm milk...OH MAN i forgot how funny it was the African's do that. I don't understand it!!

    It was nice to read about some things that I have totally experianced and I can picture what you are doing and seeing! I love to read all about your adventure! Oh and I like your name ;) You should see if anyone knows mine...Ketewai. (Ket-e-way). Means Christ Like! ;) anyways I love you girl I am praying for you in this time and your time over there. You are doing great! Stay Strong I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome, wish I could see it all - can you bring me back some Ugali?

    ReplyDelete